Dal Makhni By Chef Ajay Chopra
Also known as - Makhni Dal
Dal Makhani is a traditional Punjabi dal preparation that can make anyone drool. Chef Ajay Chopra shares the recipe for this popular and lip-smacking Indian dal.Read More
1 cup whole urad dal
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp chilli paste
1 cup tomato puree
1/2 slab butter
1 cup cream
salt to taste
- In a bowl add whole urad dal, a handful of salt and little water and roll it in your hands till the outer layer washes away.
- Soak the washed urad dal overnight for 8-9 hours. Drain well and then pressure cook it on high flame for 5-6 whistles.
- Add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste and 1 tbsp chilli paste to the dal mixture.
- Cook the dal for 4 to 5 hours.
- While the dal is boiling, add tomato puree, butter and cream, salt and cook for an hour.
- Serve Dal Makhani with a piping hot bowl of rice or Indians breads.
Dal Makhani is a rich lentil dish made from whole urad dal (black lentils) and Rajma (red kidney beans). This dal is slow-cooked on a low flame for hours and allowed to thicken. Cream, butter, and ghee get added to it.
This rich, spicy, and creamy dal is prepared on special occasions such as weddings or parties. Moreover, it is the most ordered dish in Indian restaurants! It is best enjoyed with roti or naan.