Amchuri Bhindi By Chef Ajay Chopra
Also known as - Bhindi Amchuri
Amchuri Bhindi is tangy and crispy okra that is stuffed with some flavourful Indian spices. Chef Ajay Chopra shares his mother's recipe of Bhindi Amchuri.Read More
For stuffing masala
2 - 3 tbsp amchur powder
2 tbsp fennel seeds powder
1 tbsp kalonji (onion seeds)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp red chilli powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
3 - 4 tbsp mustard oil
For bhindi tadka
1 - 2 tbsp mustard oil
1 tsp kalonji (onion seeds)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 cup chopped ginger
1/3 cup green chillies
1/2 cup chopped onions
- Before preparing the dish, slit the bhindi and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, add amchur powder, sauf powder, kalonji (onion seeds), salt, red chilli pepper, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Add a little mustard oil and mix well.
- Stuff the masala in the bhindis and keep it aside 5-7 minutes.
- In a pan, heat some mustard oil, and add kalonji, cumin seeds.
- Add the bhindi and keep tossing the pan. Cover the pan and cook.
- After the bhindi cooks, add chopped ginger, chopped green chillies, chopped onions and mix well.
- Cover the lid and let it cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve Amchuri bhindi with dal chawal/roti.
Amchuri Bhindi is a simple and quick recipe as most of the ingredients are easily available in our kitchens. The slit okra is stuffed with a mixture of Amchur (dry mango powder), sauf powder (fennel powder) and sarson ka tel (mustard oil).
The tanginess of this dish comes from Amchur, and the saunf powder and sarson ka tel impart a uniquely zesty and aromatic flavour to it. It is cooked just enough to make it crunchy.
You can eat Amchuri Bhindi on its own or serve it with hot phulkas.