Chainaki By Chef Harpal Singh Sokhi
Chainaki is a traditional stew from Afghanistan. Chef Harpal Singh Sokhi shares the detailed recipe.Read More
250 gms mutton
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp soaked chana dal
salt to taste
3 dried plums
1 tsp black pepper
water as required
dry naan for serving
- Chop the onions and tomatoes
- In a clay kettle, add mutton, chopped onions, tomatoes, garlic cloves, soaked chana dal.
- Add salt, dried plums, black pepper, water and place the lid over the kettle.
- Cover the spout with a muslin cloth and place the kettle on a baking tray. Add water to the tray.
- Cook it in a preheated oven at 180 C for 1 hour.
- Place the pieces of dry naan on a serving plate. Put the mutton pieces on top and pour the Chainaki over it.
Chainaki is Afghani comfort food that is cooked and served in a teapot. It is also called Shorwa in Pakistan and India.
This traditional recipe is made in a chainak (Afghan for ‘teapot’) using meat, chopped onions, garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander, celery, tomatoes and cilantro. It is cooked over a charcoal fire for at least an hour.