Kabuli By Chef Pankaj Bhadouria
Kabuli is a one-pot rice-based dish that is very tasty and wholesome. Chef Pankaj Bhadouria shares the recipe of this flavourful rice variety from Rajasthan.Read More
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced potatoes
4 bread slices
½ cup cashew nuts
½ cup raisins
1 cup curd
¼ cup fresh cream
1 tbsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp garam masala powder
1 tbsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
4-5 tbsp desi ghee
2-3 black cardamom
1 tbsp cumin seeds
2-3 green cardamom
1 tbsp black peppercorns
1 cup blanched green peas
2-3 tbsp desi ghee
3 cups semi-cooked rice
8-10 mint leaves
8-10 mint leaves
1-2 tbsp soaked saffron
3-4 tbsp desi ghee
fried onions for garnish
mint leaves for garnish
- Deep fry diced carrots, diced potatoes and transfer them to a bowl.
- Cut cubes of the sliced bread and fry them, till golden brown.
- Fry the cashew nuts and raisins in the same oil and transfer them to a bowl.
- Cook the rice up to 80% and set it aside.
- In a small bowl mix curd, fresh cream, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Heat ghee in a kadhai, add cloves, black cardamom, cumin seeds, green cardamom, black peppercorn and saute. Add the curd mixture and cook until done.
- Add the fried vegetables, nuts, blanched green peas and mix well.
- Spread ghee in a pot and spread a layer of rice followed by a layer of vegetables and gravy.
- Sprinkle the fried bread pieces, mint leaves and top it with a layer of rice.
- Sprinkle mint leaves, saffron soaked in warm water and ghee.
- Cover the pot and cook on slow flame for 15-20 mins. Switch off the flame and rest the kabuli for 5 mins.
- Garnish with fried onions, mint leaves and serve.
Kabuli, also known as Jodhpuri Kabuli, is a one-pot rice dish made without onions or any other heavy masala. It is an Indian version of the famous Afghani Kabuli Pulao.
This Jodhpuri Kabuli is generally made with veggies like carrots, potatoes, green peas, cauliflower and dry fruits. It is a layered rice dish wherein veggies, and rice are layered on top of each other but what makes this different is a layer of deep-fried bread pieces, which give this pulao a distinct taste.
This Kabuli Pulao is every rice-lovers dream come true.