Katachi Amti with Puran Poli By Chef Kunal Kapur
Katachi Amti with Puran Poli
Katachi Amti with Puran Poli is a heavenly combination that makes festivals more delicious. Chef Kunal Kapur shares the recipes of these mouth-watering dishes.Read More
For Katachi Amti
1 tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 cups boiled split chickpeas water
rock salt as per taste
1 tbsp jaggery powder
1 tsp tamarind pulp
a pinch of katachi amti masala
For puran poli
whole wheat flour dough
1 tbsp ghee
1 cup boiled split chickpeas
1/4 cup jaggery powder
1/2 tsp green cardamom powder
a pinch of nutmeg powder
1/2 tsp fennel powder
1 tsp ghee
- Heat a pan, add 1 tbsp ghee, ½ tsp asafoetida, ½ tsp cumin seeds, ½ tsp mustard seeds, ½ tsp turmeric powder, 2 cups boiled split chickpeas water, salt as per taste, 1 tbsp powdered jaggery, 1 tsp tamarind pulp and pinch of katachi amti masala.
- Let it simmer & boil for another 5-10 minutes and katachi amti is ready to serve.
- In a pan add 1 tbsp ghee, 1 cup boiled chana dal, ¼ cup powdered jaggery, ½ tsp green cardamom powder, a pinch of nutmeg powder and ½ tsp fennel powder. Mix it gently and cook the mixture until it turns completely dry.
- Once it is completely dry, mash the chana dal till it turns smooth.
- Divide the whole wheat flour dough into small balls and flatten the dough on a rolling pin.
- Stuff the mashed chana dal into it and again flatten the dough using a rolling pin.
- Heat a flat pan and cook the prepared puran poli.
- Apply ghee to both sides and let it cook until light brown spots appear on both sides.
- Puran poli is now ready to serve with katachi amti.
Katachi Amti is a spicy, tangy, watery thin gravy made from the water of Chana Dal (split chickpeas). The Chana Dal is used to make Puran Poli.
The unique taste of Katachi Amti comes from the masala that is used - cinnamon, dry desiccated coconut, cardamom and pepper.
A spoon of tamarind paste is added for tanginess, and to balance everything, a little jaggery is added. The goodness of this dish is that it reduces inflammation and improves blood circulation, aids in digestion and acts as an immunity booster.
Puran Poli is a sweet flatbread that’s wholesome and yummy too. The stuffing of boiled, cooked, and sweetened chana dal is filled in dough and then cooked on tawa.
These combo dishes are contrasting but are yummy and nourishing too.