Lagan ke Bater By Chef Pankaj Bhadouria
Lagan ke Bater
Lagan Ke Bater is a unique non-vegetarian dish from Lucknow. Chef Pankaj Bhadouria shares the recipe for this Nawabi dish.Read More
For Lagan ke Bater
500 gms quail meat
1 tbsp garlic paste
½ tbsp cloves powder
1 cinnamon stick
4 green cardamom
1 black cardamom
1 blade mace
½ tsp nutmeg
water as required
1 tbsp cuddapah almond
¼ cup poppy seeds
¼ cup desiccated coconut
water as required
½ cup curd
1 tbsp fried onion paste
1 tbsp ginger paste
½ tsp saffron
1 tbsp screw pine water
salt to taste
4 tbsp ghee
pistachios for garnish
almond flakes for garnish
coriander sprig for garnish
- Marinate the quail meat with garlic paste and powdered cloves and keep it aside.
- In a blender, blend cinnamon sticks, green and black cardamoms, blade mace and nutmeg using some water. strain the masala and set it aside.
- In a pan, dry roast some cuddapah almonds till they splutter. Switch the flame off and add some poppy seeds.
- Roast desiccated coconut and set aside.
- In a mixer jar, add peeled and blanched almonds, peeled pistachios and make a paste out of it using some water.
- In a bowl, add curd, brown onion paste, ginger paste, garam masala paste, nuts paste, saffron, screw pine water, salt and whisk it well.
- Marinate the meat with the masala paste and set it aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a lagan, add the marinated meat along with the masala and saute.
- Cover and cook on a low flame for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with finely chopped pistachios, almonds flakes and fresh coriander leaves.
Lagan Ke Bater is a non-veg dish made with Bater meat (Quail Meat). This traditional dish is a part of Awadhi cuisine.
In this recipe, quails are slow-cooked in Dum with lots of spices and a paste of dry roasted Cuddapah almonds, poppy seeds, desiccated coconut, almonds and pistachios. Infused with saffron and garnished with pistachios, the Lagan Ke Bater is a medley of different tastes and flavours.