Naan By Chef Ajay Chopra
Naan is a traditional Indian flatbread that is generally cooked in Tandoors. Chef Ajay Chopra brings the detailed recipe to your kitchen.Read More
For the dough
1 cup yogurt
1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup refined flour (maida)
1/2 cup milk
oil & ghee as required
For the stuffing
chopped garlic (raw and fried)
kalonji (onion seeds)
- In a bowl, mix yogurt, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, milk and maida. Knead the mixture into a soft dough.
- Drizzle some oil on the dough and continue kneading it. Divide the dough into equal dough balls and rest it for 5-7 minutes.
- Flatten the dough ball; give it your desired shape; sprinkle some kalonji, coriander and chopped garlic on top of it.
- Place it in the oven or tandoor.
- Flatten the dough ball and stuff it with some fried chopped garlic. Sprinkle on the dough and sprinkle kalonji and coriander; fold the dough and leave it to rest for 5 minutes. Place it in the oven or tandoor.
- Flatten the dough ball, until it becomes thin.
- Spread some ghee on the flattened dough and start folding/pleating the dough; top it with kalonji and coriander and place it on the baking tray or tandoor and let it cook.
- Once the Naan is out of the tandoor/oven drop a chunk of butter and serve hot with gravies and curries!
Naan is an all-time favourite Indian flatbread that is salty, crispy and flaky. There are several varieties of Naan, such as plain naan, butter naan and garlic naan.
Naan is made with all-purpose flour (Maida) to which leavening agents such as curd, yeast, baking soda and baking powder are added. The dough is then allowed to rise until it doubles in volume. Round or oval-shaped Naans are made either by hand or by a rolling pin. Naan is then placed in a tandoor (a type of large clay oven), or if you are making it at home, you can bake it in an oven or on a tawa.
Pair the warm, slightly charred from outside, fluffy and flaky Naan with dal makhani, butter chicken, aloo gobi, etc. and experience the sheer bliss of traditional Indian mouthwatering food.