Shahjahani dal By Chef Pankaj Bhadouria
Shahjahani Dal is an ancient dal recipe that dates back to the Mughal era of Emperor Shahjahan. Chef Pankaj Bhadouria shares this antique recipe in detail.Read More
For Shahjahani dal
1 ½ cups boiled chickpeas
water as required
2 tbsp ghee
1 tsp nigella seeds
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp chopped ginger
1 chopped onion
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
12-15 black pepper
1 tsp cardamom powder
water as required
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup fresh cream
salt to taste
cream for garnish
coriander sprig for garnish
- In a mixer jar, blend boiled chickpeas, water and make a paste.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add nigella seeds, caraway seeds and saute.
- Add chopped garlic and ginger, chopped onion and sauté till it is translucent.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder and saute.
- Add cinnamon stick, bay leaves, black pepper, cardamom powder and sauté for a while.
- Add the blended chickpeas, dal water and mix.
- Once it comes to a boil, add coconut milk.
- Add fresh cream, salt and mix. Let the dal simmer.
- Serve the dal hot and garnish it with cream and coriander.
Shahjahani Dal is made with Kabuli chana (Chickpeas). It is named after Emperor Shahjahan. Although the story behind this dal is quite tragic, the dal itself is super creamy and super tasty.
This dal is made with boiled and mashed chickpeas cooked in creamy gravy. It is then flavoured with aromatic herbs and spices. The addition of coconut milk makes it creamier.
The rich and luscious Shahjahani Dal tastes best with steaming hot rice or paratha.